- De-bushing allows for grazing land restoration which increases the carry capacity on the farmland, leading to improved rangeland productivity ultimately contributes to the country’s economy through GDP.
- Encroacher bush is a significant biomass resource, estimated at more
than 200 million tons and growing each year. Measures to counter bush encroachment create new opportunities and value chains for Namibia through:
- Using bush biomass for electricity generation
- Various value added products; charcoal, animal fodder, compressed wood blocks, wood chips, fire wood and fencing poles to mention a few.
- Job creation employment in harvesting, processing and logistics.
- Thus, biomass utilisation offers the potential to increase rangeland productivity, increased energy supply, employment creation and economic growth
Read more: Value Addition brochure, Resource assessment study